Wednesday, October 28, 2015

NaNoWriMo 2015 is coming up

So nanowrimo (national novel writing month) is coming up. The goal of nanowrimo is to write 50,000 words (standard length of a novel) in the month of November. I've participated for a number of years and I finished twice. However, I have yet to actually complete one of my nano novels. The ones that I managed to get to 50,000 words just sort of died after nano was over and I have never had a chance to go back to them. So this year I plan to cheat (just a little bit).

Now, when I say that I am going to cheat I only mean it in the most technical sense. Don't think too poorly of me (not for this at least). I do plan on writing 50,000 words. I am going to write all of those words in the month of November. However, I am going to use a story that I have already started (the second book in the Knight's Journey series). Now this is technically cheating because you are not supposed to have started your work before nano. Even though I won't count the words I have already written. But hey, I don't get a prize if I win and I'm pretty sure that no one will actually care if I start early. I care, but that's beside the point. No one of significance will care. Hopefully.

Damn, could you imagine if at the end of nano I get approached by some big name publisher and they're all like: "You completed NaNoWriMo and we would like to reward you by offering you an awesome publishing deal! We just need to verify that you didn't break any of the nano rules." Yeah. But that wouldn't happen. But if it does, this blog is a lie and Alex would never break the rules of nano. Never.

There. I've covered my tracks.

Anyways, nano should be really exciting this year because I will not be working during that time. While no work means no money, it also means that I have a lot of free time to write (and look for jobs and do housework). And time to write is a good thing. Every other time I've participated in nano,I was either in school or I was working, so I could only write during my off hours. Now I am free to dedicate the majority of my time to writing during November. Carissa is okay with being ignored for a month (this time there is a reason) and I have no holidays or vacations planned.

I'll write more blog posts during that month too. For a writer, I find it surprisingly difficult to write short blog posts. So I will get into the habit of doing that in November.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment