Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I made myself jealous

My wife Carissa is often telling me that I should consider publishing or posting some of my short stories. I usually disagree, since I don't feel very strongly about any of them. I prefer writing novels, and most of my shorter fiction was written for my creative writing classes in college. They aren't all bad (though most are and thus will never see the light of day), but even the good ones are just kind of "meh."

But there was one short story that I started a few years ago that I was actually invested in. I had just read a few of Brandon Sanderson's shorter works (he is my favorite author) and I was inspired to try and write something. I had also been playing some Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and decided to try a story about an adventurer who explores ancient ruins in search of treasure. I wrote furiously and did my best to pump out a complete story without stopping to think about it.

Now here is where I need to qualify something. I had alternate motivation to complete this story. It was nearing Carissa's birthday and I thought it would be unique if I presented her with a story as a present (I did have other presents for her, but this is where I chose to focus my efforts). So I was working on a deadline, because her birthday was coming up (I believe I had about 3 days, but one of those was for travel).

So anyways, I was doing my best to write this awesome story from start to finish. I was motivated and I was working very well. I managed to get almost halfway through when I realized that it was going to be a long short story. Not too long, but longer than I could probably finish (think about 20-25 pages single spaced in Word, at minimum). I'm not going to say that I failed, but I didn't finish the story. Instead I found an appropriate break and presented it as part one (Hollywood taught me this). There was more of the story written than what I gave to Carissa, but it wasn't close to being finished. Luckily, I was smart and wrote a brief outline of where the story was headed so that I would never forget.

I set the story aside thinking that I would get back to it soon, and then I never did. In my defense, this was largely due to my work on the Knight's Journey novel, which I then saw through to completion. So, yeah, I finished something at least.

Anyways, I just opened up my old short story and started reading through it. Somehow I was writing really well back then, because I kind of got hooked on my own story. It's a weird feeling when you read your own writing and you start feeling inadequate because it's really good. It's like, damn, I wrote that in two days without thinking about it at all. It shouldn't make me jealous. I'm literally jealous of myself.

So now I'm sitting at the computer and I have vowed to finish this short story because it's really good and because I want to prove that I can finish it. Thank you past me for starting this project and doing most of the work, I'll take over from here and take all of the credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment