Friday, February 5, 2016

Starting Instagram for Author Life Month

A few days ago Carissa read a blog about author life month. She promptly told me about it and said I should create an Instagram account and participate.

I was a bit hesitant at first because while I have had the Instagram app on my phone since I got it, I'd never actually used Instagram. Also, I had a hard time imagining how I could post a lot of pictures relating to my book. On top of that, I am not the best at social media (Carissa says I am sporadic and will post a lot of stuff at once and then stop for a while).

But I am an adventurous person, so I agreed to participate.

The basic idea is to post a picture each day of February and tag it with #AuthorLifeMonth. Each day has a specific prompt, such as your current WIP or the cover of your book. It's actually really cool, and I've surprised myself by being more consistent with my posts. I've found it much easier to post pictures than tweets as you don't have to write anything (but if you do, the image you're posting serves as a prompt).

It definitely helps that I browse sites like Imgur and Reddit and often save posts that inspire me. I can repost old pics to instagram easily (yes, I know it's cheating).

So far I've done well on instagram in terms of book promotion and stuff. We'll see if I keep it up after February.

For those interested, my Instagram is knights_journey (same as Twitter).

No comments:

Post a Comment