Monday, February 8, 2016

On writing my book

Ever since I started using Scrivener as my writing tool, I have been writing most of my scenes and chapters out of order. I was doing that before, but not to the extent that I am now. It has led to some interesting difficulties, but it has also proved very fun and helpful. I think it has helped my writing.

One thing that I hadn't considered/noticed until recently is that writing a scene independant of the before and after allows you to focus on what has happened and how a character should be acting at the given moment. Are they mad because they just lost a fight? Annoyed because things aren't working out for them? Are they still feeling depressed as they have throughout the book, and if so how strongly is that emotion now? Because I have to consider these things (far moreso than if I were writing chronologically) the events of the book have a more noticeable impact on a character's emotions and their emotional development is more pronounced. I like it (but then again I almost always like my own writing).

I have also run into a problem where small plot points are becoming an issue. Since I am writing scenes late in the book, I haven't finalized all of the small details of what has happened. A great example of this is that when Rowan arrives in Leor, he will find free public housing for himself. But I still haven't decided whether he starts fending for himself once he arrives or if he spends some time living with an acquaintance first. So as I write the scene where he would start living on his own (if he hadn't already) I have to pause and make a decision that should have already happened.

I know I'm an author, but sometimes I really don't like making decisions. Particularly the small, meaningless decisions. I always plan out both options and get attached to each one. So what I really need to do is plan out everything now so I don't have to deal with decisions later (side note: I have planned out the plot, just not the small details).

On another note, I was talking with Carissa last night about a minor character from book 1 who is becoming an important charracter in the second book. She made mention of how problematic it is to have minor characters develop a life of their own and grow beyond their intended role. This of course led to a discussion in which I mentioned a few other minor characters who were nameless and wouldn't ever come back. Then, in typical fashion, I grew very attached to them and found the perfect way for them to come back into the story as a relevant character. She laughs. I laugh. Then I curse myself for creating more work.

No comments:

Post a Comment