Monday, December 21, 2015

Using Scrivener

One of my good friends (who is also a writer) has been raving about a program that she uses called Scrivener. For the most part, I have used Microsoft Word to do my writing. It is a solid program and it gets the job done. My friend looked down on me for this.

So I decided that I would give her recommendation a try during Nano. Scrivener was offering a free 30 day trial, so I took the offer and downloaded the program. Now I honestly don't know why I never used it before, because it is really cool.

I don't want to go too much into what the program does because I am not reviewing it, but it does have some cool features that have gotten me quite distracted. For example, I have created my own character profiles before (it's hard to remember how I described characters previously), but Scrivener lets me do that in the book. So I did, and it was very fun. I have spent A LOT of time looking up pictures of people to use as a visual reference for some of my characters. Some of them are really good. Other...not so much. It's really difficult to find an accurate picture when you get really specific about character traits...for example, try googling "one-eyed fat man with scar" and see what you get. There's a lot of variety to say the least.

I eventually gave up finding images of my characters when I had ones for the main characters. I really only need main characters, because those are the ones that are embarrassing to forget (fun fact, I once forgot that Erik was "fair haired" and I still don't know if I ever specified his eye color).

No comments:

Post a Comment