Tuesday, December 1, 2015

I won nano

November's nanowrimo is finally over and I managed to finish as a winner with a total of 50,009 words (cutting it just a little bit close). It was a very difficult month, to be quite honest. I fell behind a few times when I traveled to see family and I accidentally slept for a day and did not write.

To get to 50,000 by the end of the month, you need to write 1,667 words every day. It really doesn't sound like a lot, and it doesn't even look like a lot (it's about 1.5-2 pages single-spaced in Word, unless you write a lot of dialogue). However, the moment you fall behind you have a lot of work to make up. I was lazy and fell behind about four times, that means there were about four days of no writing. Each time I was like "Don't worry, it'll be fine. I can totally catch up tomorrow if I work really hard." Then the next day I would curse myself and end up behind the goal for several days. I don't think I've ever hated a bar graph (how the website tracks your word count) so much since I took a math class, but at least back then it wasn't personal. When you fall behind, the bar graph showing your statistics become a mocking, taunting, ode to your failure and it likes to slap you in the face. I have a very strong dislike for it (when I am losing to it).

But despite all of the difficulty, I managed to win nano and write 50k words of my novel which brings the total word count just over 77k. That's close to half of the novel's first draft, a very good amount of progress. I plan to continue writing at this pace so that I can aim to have a draft done soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment